World Cup
FIFA’s top officer ousted after accusing Infantino of World Cup deceit
Kevin Lamour, FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer, was dismissed on 17 August 2026 after publicly accusing President Gianni Infantino of deceiving staff over a proposed World Cup stake‑sale, a plan the governing body has since abandoned. The French‑Swiss executive had earlier released an explosive statement denouncing the scheme as a ‘project of one person’.
Lamour’s explosive statement declared that staff had been ‘deceived’ by the under‑fire Infantino after his now‑abandoned proposal to sell tournament stakes to private investors. He described the sell‑off as a ‘project of one person’ and warned that football leaders must ask the right questions. The French official emphasized transparency. The story was originally reported by MIKE KEEGAN, CHIEF.
FIFA’s spokesperson confirmed that the working relationship with Kevin Lamour ended on 17 August 2026. The organisation thanked him for two years of service and wished him the best of luck for the future. No further comment was offered on the matter.
Official response from FIFA
In a formal letter to FIFA Vice Presidents, the federation explained that the decision followed careful consideration and mutual respect. It highlighted Lamour’s contributions since joining in November 2024, including improved stakeholder relationships and delivery of several joint projects. The letter also noted his regular presence at every FIFA Council meeting since his appointment.
Staff were notified of Lamour’s abrupt departure by an email from general secretary Mattias Grafstrom on Tuesday night. The communication was sent to all FIFA employees, confirming the termination without further detail.
Infantino’s clash leads to Kevin Lamour’s abrupt exit from FIFA
Media speculation and Lamour’s statements
Sport claimed that Grafstrom, rather than Infantino, delivered the ‘bullet’ that ended Lamour’s tenure. FIFA was contacted for comment on the allegation, but no response was provided. The report added that the claim remains unverified.
Speaking to the AP, Lamour said, ‘It is the project of one person. Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.’ He emphasized that the sell‑off plan had been abandoned and should not be revisited.
Lamour also told the AP he was prepared to lose his job for speaking out, stating, ‘If that means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.’
FIFA sacks Chief Operating Officer Lamour after Infantino criticism
His exit follows that of Infantino’s senior advisor Carlos Cordeiro, who resigned in July citing opposition to the same controversial plan. Cordeiro’s departure underscored growing internal dissent over the World Cup stake‑sale proposal.