LIVE
No live matches
🌍 Other regions

DACH
British Isles
Iberia
Scandinavië
Balkan
Baltische Staten
Centraal en Oost-Europa
Mediterraan
Benelux
Other countries


ONE GAME. ONE COMMUNITY. ALL TOGETHER.
← Back to articles

Eredivisie

Gio’s first return without Watanabe, but Diarra steps into the breach

🇳🇱 By 4AllFootball ·
Gio’s first return without Watanabe, but Diarra steps into the breach

Giovanni van Bronckhorst, widely known as Gio, returns to the touchline for Feyenoord Rotterdam as the club grapples with a key defensive injury. The contrast between a fresh coaching debut and the absence of central defender Tsuyoshi Watanabe sets the tone for the weekend’s clash with Sparta Rotterdam.

Van Bronckhorst will lead Feyenoord for the first time in the Eredivisie next weekend, with the match against Sparta scheduled to kick off the Dutch top-flight campaign. The appointment marks his first competitive test since taking charge of the Rotterdam-based club.

Central defender Tsuyoshi Watanabe remains unavailable, forcing a reshuffle in the backline ahead of the Sparta fixture. The injury leaves a void that must be filled before the team steps onto the pitch.

Gaoussou Diarra is now set to stake a claim for a starting berth following the departures of Leo Sauer and Raheem Sterling. The midfield vacancy created by their exits has opened the door for Diarra to step into the lineup.

‘Diarra is available on Sunday, Watanabe is not. The Sparta match comes a bit too soon,’ Van Bronckhorst said at Friday’s press conference. ‘He has had a good week and feels less pain every day. Only the Sunday match is too early.’

The coach added: ‘Gijs Smal trained for the first time today. That is positive for him, that he can participate again. It gives me an extra option in a few weeks.’ Van Bronckhorst highlighted Smal’s progress as a welcome addition to the squad.

‘The feeling is very good, not just regarding the result. It helps if you win everything, but the most important thing is how you play. How the boys are, not only in matches but also in training. So far, everything has been very positive. That gives me a good feeling ahead of the start of the season,’ he said, stressing overall team morale.

Van Bronckhorst declined to name the new captain who will replace Timon Wellenreuther, stating the decision hinges on player character and group dynamics. The leading candidates are Anis Hadj Moussa, Givairo Read and Jeremiah St. Juste, with an announcement expected tomorrow.

He also did not rule out the possibility that Givairo Read could still leave Feyenoord Rotterdam, keeping the captaincy race open for further changes.

Discussion (0)

International discussion — reactions from football fans across all countries come together here. Use the translate button for comments in other languages.

Be the first to comment!

Comment on this article

Choose a display name — you don't have to use your real name

Your display name is shown, your email never. Privacy

← Back to articles