Ronaldo's concrete plan: one last season to close a world football era
Cristiano Ronaldo, the 41‑year‑old superstar, has announced a concrete plan to spend what he says will be his final season as a professional footballer, aiming to draw the line on his career in the summer of 2027 after a farewell interview with Vogue.
Retirement timeline laid out in Vogue interview
In the interview published on Sunday, the Portuguese forward confirmed that the coming year could mark the end of an era in world football, stating he will likely retire after the 2026‑27 campaign. He described the decision as a carefully plotted step toward the end of his playing days.
“This is probably my last year in football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said, emphasizing his desire to finish on a high note.
Following Portugal’s 0‑1 defeat to Spain in the World Cup round of 16, Ronaldo left his national‑team future open, prompting speculation that he might still feature at Euro 2028. He now says his focus has shifted entirely to life after football.
Ronaldo explained that he has already mapped out his post‑career activities, noting that “since football could leave a big gap, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.” He wants more fun, travel, and to play padel while enjoying the rewards of a 25‑year career.
“I want more fun, more travel, more padel, and to keep enjoying what we have earned,” he added, reflecting on the sacrifices made over his long journey.
Contract, milestones and the final push
His contract with current club Al‑Nassr runs until the summer of 2027, and he has indicated he will not extend it if he decides to end his career then. The Saudi side also offers a platform for him to chase the 1,000‑goal milestone across club and country.
Ronaldo is 24 goals short of that landmark and could reach it in the next season, potentially delivering the last major triumph of a highly decorated career.